*All Practice Opportunities are at our practice center, Dharma Gate, unless otherwise noted: 1910 24th Avenue South, Seattle, WA 98144
Newcomer Orientation: Second Monday Evenings – 5:30 PM
Newcomers are invited to come for an orientation of the Dharma Gate practice center (sometimes called the zendo), sitting and walking meditation instruction, and an introduction to MCPS’ practice community. A great first step if you are new to meditation or just new to the Plum Village tradition.
Monday Evenings – 6:30 to 8:30PM, Meditation and Program
- February 5th: Two periods of sitting and walking meditation; Sutra Service with John.
- February 12th: **Orientation for those new to MCPS; 5:30pm.
- February 12th: Annual General Meeting of the Membership, 6:30-8:30pm
- All members please mark your calendars and plan to attend our Annual General Meeting of the Membership which will be held in place of our regular Monday night practice. In addition to election of new Board officers and a review of the 2018 budget, this is a chance for us to celebrate another year of practice together and re-commit ourselves to Sangha-building for 2018. Hope to see you all there! If you know you will be travelling at the time of the meeting but would like to be represented at the meeting by a Sangha sibling, please contact that person and e-mail your proxy to Robbie at email@example.com. This helps us achieve quorum for the meeting. Thank you!
- February 19th: Two periods of sitting and walking meditation. Guided Meditation on 5th Mindfulness Training: Nourishment and Healing
- February 26th: One period of sitting and walking meditation. Part 6 of 6-Month Series with Serena and Jabali: Social Justice and the Fifth Mindfulness Training: Nourishment and Healing.
Meditation begins promptly at 6:30 pm, so please arrive early to hang your coat, remove your shoes and find a seat in the meditation hall. Zabuton (mats) and Zafu (cushions) are provided as well as a limited number of Seiza meditation benches. Chairs are also provided for those who can not sit on the floor. Our Monday program begins with two periods of sitting meditation, each followed by walking meditation (one hour total). Meditation is followed by Sutra Service, Community Gathering, Discussion, Guided Total Relaxation, or other Mindfulness Practices. If you arrive early, please stay in the foyer or the kitchen until the small bell is sounded to signal walking meditation. At that point you can join the group.
New on Tuesdays: Guided Meditation Series, Beginners Welcome
New to meditation? Want support with your current practice? Come join us in guided sitting and walking meditation. You can sit in a chair, sit on a cushion or lie down during our practice time.
What: Cultivating Heart-fulness and Compassion – a 6-week guided meditation series
When: Tuesdays, February 13th through March 20th 7pm-8:15pm
Dana/Donation Based. For more info, contact Genevieve – firstname.lastname@example.org
People of Color Meditation Group, 1st and 3rd Sunday Evenings – 6:00 to 8:00PM
Includes 2 periods of sitting and walking meditation during the first hour, followed by a peer-convened Contemplative Dharma sharing.
Families with Children: Weekend Mornings of Mindfulness
The aim of this group is to support children and parents to grow in mindfulness together, and there will be a separate program for parents and children. Please Join us! Find more info on our family sangha page.
Thursday Mornings – 6:30-8:30AM, Meditation and Breakfast
Our Thursday morning practice is designed to support deepening of our practice in the context of sangha relationships. Meditation begins at 6:30am, so please arrive by 6:25am. There are two periods of sitting with one period of walking meditation in the garden. Bring a suitable jacket and shoes as we are committed to our weekly garden walk whether it is dark, dawn, dry, wet, raining, or snowing. After meditation there is a brief sutra service and reading together. Those who can stay enjoy sharing breakfast together between 7:30 and 8:30am (please bring a breakfast item to share communally). During breakfast we practice sharing our food and eating mindfully. We also engage in Dharma discussion, typically discussing the reading from the Sutra Service and its application to our own situation. We deepen and explore our friendship by discussing the ways our practice has taken root and is being expressed in our lives. Everyone is welcome, even those who are new to practice. If you are able, you can attend orientation (5:30pm, 2nd Monday evening) prior to attending.
Thursday Morning Yoga @ 10:30AM
Mindful Gentle Yoga class led by Charlie Heffernan. All are welcome. The class is donation-based and you are encouraged to only pay if your budget allows. Friends from the neighborhood are welcome.
Last Saturday Mornings – 8:30AM- 12:30PM, Dharma Gate Facility and Garden Work Party
Members of both sanghas that own the Dharma Gate facility join together from 8:30AM to 12:30PM on the last Saturday of each month to care for and improve our meditation “home”. Please join us and bring work gloves and clothes. For more information, contact Ellie Graham or Kay Peters.
Practice Committee Meetings; All are welcome
Board Meetings; All are welcome
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING, Monday, February 12th, 6:30-8:30pm (During regular Monday practice time)